Building Inspector: Bruce Palmer
5851 Mackinaw Road
Saginaw, Michigan 48604
(989) 792-7596 Ext 117
To enforce building codes fairly and efficiently, Kochville Township retains a building inspector with extensive training who is registered with the State Construction Code Commission and the Department of Labor. The building inspector issues building permits and inspects construction sites in accordance with the 2012 edition of the Michigan Building Code, the 2015 Michigan Residential Code, and oversees the electrical inspector and the plumbing and mechanical inspector.
The building inspector must be prepared to issue “stop work” orders and seek circuit court injunctions to achieve compliance with the codes.
Farm buildings for legitimate agricultural use are exempt from permitting and enforcement, but still must meet zoning setbacks. Contact the Zoning Administrator for more information.
Procedures for Building, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Permit Applications
Permit applications are available at the Kochville Township Offices, or you can download them here. Fill out the application and return it to the Kochville Township Building Inspector along with other necessary documents. For more information about the documentation requirements for your specific project, please contact the Kochville Township at 989-792-7596. You may need some or all of the following:
- Site plan, indicating roadway(s), road right-of-way, proposed construction, easements, property lines, all existing structures, and any other pertinent information.
- Construction drawings or plans
- Copy of signed construction contract
- Septic permit – Saginaw County Health Department 989-758-3686
- Well permit – Saginaw County Health Department 989-758-3686
- Driveway permit – Saginaw County Road Commission 989-752-6140
- Soil Erosion Permit – Saginaw County Department of Public Works 989-790-5258.
- Copies of all contractor licenses
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed and the fees set. Do not begin your project without an issued permit.
Click below to view online training videos provided by the Bureau of Construction Codes:
Residential Building Projects Step 1-3:
- Building permit requirements: residential
- Building Department policy for residential building permits
- 2015 MI Res Code Energy Worksheet – single family residential
- Required information for construction plan review
- Water and sewer specifications for construction
- ADA compliance standards
- Commercial Building Permit Fees
- Plan Examination Application *New
Swimming Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs:
Please click on below for frequently asked questions about the installation and permits required for pools, spas, and hot tubs.
- Michigan Building Code, 2012 edition
- Michigan Residential Code, 2015 edition
- Michigan Rehabilitation Code for Existing Buildings,
- Michigan Electrical Code, 2014 edition Part 8 Rules
- Michigan Mechanical Code, 2012 edition
- Michigan Plumbing Code, 2012 edition
- International Fuel Gas Code 2012